On this page
What should be entered as a Trust
Although Trusts cannot be used for the websolve, if you would like it to be modelled in the Optimo Financial SDS, then entering the data for the Trust in Pathfinder allows our analysts to process your case more efficiently. Please note that we may not be able to model very unusual Trusts structures, so if in doubt, please Contact Optimo Financial.
- The following can be added as a Trust:
- Discretionary Trust
- Unit Trust
- Do not enter under Trust:
SMSFs - This should be entered under SMSF (Self-Managed Super Fund)
How to add a Trust
To add an existing Trust:
- Go to the Current situation step (top menu), then the Super & Trusts sub-step. Then, click the Add Trust button (on the left menu)
- Fill in the Beneficiary details on the main form of the Trust
- Add existing Assets and loans held in the Trust with the Add investment to Trust button on the left menu (you may need to scroll down to see all the options)
- To then add a new assets to the existing Trust:
- Go to the Cash flows & Goals > Review Trusts step
- Find the Trust in the Existing Trust section, and click the Add new investment to Trust button
To add an new Trust:
- Go to the Cash flows & Goals step (top menu), then the Review Trusts sub-step. Then scroll down and click the +Start a new Trust button.
- Fill in the Beneficiary details
Add investments with the Add new investment to Trust button at the end of the form
Modelling options for Trusts
To control the goals for the Trust:
- Since Trusts are not part of the websolve, if you have a Trust in your case and do not submit it to the SDS, then Pathfinder will optimise the Trust gifts, distributions and assets to maximise net wealth at the end of the analysis. This may not be a practical or realistic strategy so you should review your results very carefully and, preferably, submit the case to the Optimo Financial SDS.
Results for a Trust
See Trust results.
- Company or Business
- For more information on the assets and loans in a Trust, see the pages for those assets:
Strategy Development Service (SDS) options
If the case includes complex analysis that you are not able to do in Pathfinder yourself, it may need to be submitted to the Optimo Financial SDS. Complexities include, but are not limited to:
- Modelling common Trust structures (Optimo Financial will review your case and let you know if it is possible to model your specific Trust. We may not be able to model very unusual Trust structures)
- Assets in the Trust - Note that optimization process compares the assumed returns in the Trust with the assumed returns of direct assets and super, so if you have realistic assumed returns in the Trust, the automatic optimization will require fewer manual restrictions.
- Gifts options include: Let Pathfinder calculate, this will include calculating the amount and who would make the gift in a way that will maximize their net wealth at the end of the analysis. You can also set maximum gifting (including zero) year-by-year, or set an exact amount or a range. You can also do a combination.
- Distributions modelling options include: Let Pathfinder calculate, it will calculate the distribution amounts including who should receive them in a way that will maximize their net wealth at the end of the analysis. Similar to gifts, you can also set maximum gifting (including zero) year-by-year, or set an exact amount or a range. You can also do a combination.